Sunday, March 2, 2008

Living in urban Oakland

I haven't been writing as much as I expected about my thoughts and feelings now that I've moved into "urban Oakland." San Antonio district, almost East Oakland. I don't write that much in general and sometimes it takes awhile to realize what I'm feeling about being here.

Overall I really love it. I feel at home with the people and in the neighborhood. I'm still learning where certain grocery stores are or best driving routes and such but I'm getting the hang of it.

One thing that's been bothering me is the fact that I live two doors down from a certain church which meets on Saturday mornings (not Sundays).  When the church is in session, there is no parking anywhere. It is very frustrating. I can't leave to do errands or go to the gym Sat morning without intentionally staying out until the aft bc it's too hard to find parking later. On one hand. parking two blocks away isn't that bad but when you factor in having to carry groceries/toilet paper (yes, tp yesterday) two blocks and also having to later return to your car possibly at night when it doesn't feel safe, it's actually pretty annoying. I'm starting to really hold resentment that they take all the street parking for about three blocks all around. 

And they started to hold more Sat afternoon and night events. I came back at 2:30pm yesterday - no parking. Luckily, I left right away again but came back at 5:30pm - no parking. Parked two blocks away and Marjie who was with me lugged my tp and such back with me. I didn't feel safe leaving my car parked so far away, not being to hear if the alarm went off, and not able to feel safe walking back to it later at night.

But what is the church supposed to do? They don't have a parking lot. The people come. 

I realize that I feel entitled to be able to park on my street but it's not like I own a spot. It's free and public. They have a right to it as much as I do. I am not owed a parking spot. 

It's been humbling to realize my sin in this - how I easily get angry and frustrated and resentful. But it still is frustrating and makes there be one day a week where I don't want to leave the house.

So, there, a post about living in the 'hood.

No comments: