Saturday, April 19, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall = A

Ah yeah, this movie is hecka funny. I saw it last night with two good friends and we laughed our asses off. Could not stop laughing. Totally an A movie. Hey, I paid full price on a Friday night in the Bay Area which is a solid $10.25, people.

I like Judd Apatow but usually find movies he's involved in to be in need of a good editor. Plots go on tangents (Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd's acid trip in Vegas in Knocked Up?) that bore me and jokes could be better. I'm ok with some randy humor but Superbad was just too much and I won't watch it a second time even though my love for Michael Cera is somethin' serious. And I love Will Ferrell too but his movies really need to be tightened up in every which way. Don't you just watch them and think, "hmm, good but could be better?"

So with all that said, FSM seriously hits all the right notes. It's funny, has a plot that mimics mainstream "normal" plots in a good way, and really shows both sides of a breakup. There are real characters with even the British rocker being one of the more well-rounded. Segal could totally have written him as a one-joke guy but he doesn't and it's one of the reasons the movie hits it, no net.

There's some crude humor (and yes, Jason Segal full-frontal) but it seems more funny and not "ah jeez" like Superbad's FREAKIN' ENDLESS penis jokes.

I read some of the reviews that say Segal can't carry the movie and he seems pathetic and Kristen Bell doesn't act, and I think, "Did you just watch the same movie I did?"

Oh yeah, I already had a huge crush on Jason Segal (Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, and How I Met Your Mother have all developed our deep relationship) but this tops me over the edge. Jason, will you marry me?

The official trailer, not red band

No comments: