Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update on racism post

I was talking with some friends last night about the Aristocat movie and the offensive Siamese/Asian cat, and asking about the buck teeth stereotype. Jill K, who's Japanese-American, said that the buck teeth image is attributed to the Japanese. That they have buck, large, or ugly teeth. She laughed and said the Japanese are known (teeth-wise) as the British of Asia. Oh, and the colonizing other ppl thing.

Hmm, I had never heard of that before. Sure, I've seen the buck teeth stereotype before (in Breakfast at Tiffany's and other media) but wondered where it emerged from.

Thanks Jill K for continuing to school me, my Japanese-Am sista!

1 comment:

jill said...

i would add crooked!

(as a corollary, it seems that the japanese place more value on good hair and skin instead!)