Thursday, April 10, 2008

The torch scavenger hunt

I went into SF yesterday to see the Olympic torch. It was crazzzy torch madness. I saw an old Cal friend on BART and ended up hanging out with him the whole afternoon as we decided to start chasing the torch through SF. We walked from Embarcadero to Chinatown to Broadway Tunnel to Columbus to Pier 39 to Van Ness/Bay and finally to Marina Green before Chrissy Field. About two and a half hours of walking. Kinda fun and exhilirating but also bum bc we wanted to see it! We were neutral observers just wanting to see the historical moment take place.

There were a lot of protesters but also a lot of neutral ppl who were out in everyday clothes to see the torch. I guess Newsom made the right move but the fact that it was so secretive made it really frustrating. What's the point of carrying the torch through the city if it's a secret and the whole thing feels you're hiding as you carry a dangerous thermal nuclear weapon through the streets of SF in a van? And the most reliable way to track it down was following the helicopters?

Lesson learned: next time I'm trying to find something important in SF that Newsom is hiding, I'll follow the helicopters. Good life lesson.

I'm not too mad at him just bummed. But walking/running through the city with other ppl was kinda fun. And def got my exercise for the day :)

No comments: