Monday, May 5, 2008

First day of work

Ah, this was a cool first day. Prob my best first day ever. After coming by the office around 3:30pm after a looong HR orientation, I saw my cubicle and got the tour. My team got me flowers, a card which they all signed and wrote witty paragraphs on, included me in an impromptu debrief of a donor visit, thought enough to leave me a Cinco de Mayo cupcake on my desk, and my voicemail and login info was neatly handwritten in a note on my desk. And my training for the next two weeks was scheduled and printed in color on my desk, with a fat binder with my name on it, and my name already on a sign at my cubicle. Wow. My kind of people - considerate, planned out, prepared. I feel won over. If I wasn't already excited about the job, I would be now!

I feel a bit shocked. I have always been thrown into positions with little or no training, and either bored out of my mind for weeks as they get their act together to figure out what they want me to do or have to hit the ground running on the first day, completely overwhelmed. This group, on the other hand, seems aware of the possibility of being overwhelmed starting a new job and carefully plans out the training. Including planning two lunches, one a group team lunch on Friday, into my schedule!! A colleague said this was the best job she ever had in regards to transition - lots of time to learn and train. I really believe her.

I feel a bit spoiled so trying to remind myself that sucky things will come up. But for now, with my new shiny badge with actually a good pic of me on it, I feel really happy. And really grateful. Thanks God.

I just think I might like it here :)

No comments: