Monday, September 1, 2008

Beverly OMG Hills

Darn you, CBS.com! You got me hooked on Hawaii 5-0 in the spring and now you have the first three entire seasons of Beverly Hills 90210. I am becoming addicted even though I didn't really watch it in the 90's. And you have Family Ties and MacGyver!? I'm a goner... "Work, I'll be calling in sick for a few weeks..."

I am laughing as I watched the first two shows. Hee hee.

9 Things I learned while watching 90210 (get it? "9"):

1) Despite living in freakin' LA with a shining sun, the most appropriate clothing is jeans, long-sleeved shirts, and jackets. All kinds of jackets - blazers, denim jackets, a black suit coat with white shorts to a pool party (yes, I saw you, Steve Sanders), varsity jackets. Can't get enough. Mmm, jackets. Even going to the beach to TAN requires jeans, sneakers, and a jacket. Heaven forbid someone wear a tank top! (Seriously, was covering up "in" in 1990?)

2) If you move from Minnesota at the tender age of 16 to Beverly Hills, you also leave behind remembrance of any friends from your previous life. You never call, write, or even mention them. You are comfortable being uprooted entirely during HIGH SCHOOL, moving to an entirely different culture (kinda, just go with me), do not show any anger to your parents, and only have issues with how little money your family has (then why did you move to BH???). You perhaps got a brain transplant when you switched time zones? "I have no friends from Minnesota. I do not miss them. I am a blank slate, ready to be filled with new interesting character friends."

3) Is it weird that Ian Ziering is the best actor on the show?

4) If you surf drunk at 7am in the morning (hahahaha), Brandon Walsh will be around to save you.

5) If you look 30, you are actually a 16yr old in 1990.

6) If you are 16 during 1990, you think light denim jeans go well with a dark denim jacket. You are delusional.

7) Brandon Walsh finally gets decent hair gel and wears ok khakis by the end of the second episode and begins to look cute. The high-waisted jeans with a tight belt are good riddance.

8) The show does a surprisingly good job of showing the angst rich teens/kids must feel when their parents are never around and they don't call. Honestly, that would be pretty sad. It looks like freedom but it seems lonely.

9) If you are Brandon and Brenda Walsh, you make BFF's really quickly. Like in an hour. So close is your friendship you can say cheesy things like "I have next period free, let's go grab a burger" and "I want to be your friend." This was Brandon and Dylan, who btw enters the scene in the second episode which is very telling. There's always a big jump from the pilot to the second episode because they're shot about 4-8 months apart. Clearly, the producers were told to bring in a dangerous, rebel-y character. Dylan is perfect.

BH 90210 is all Monterey Jack and Cheddar - pure cheese, all the way.

With one of the best credit songs, too. Oh, how did I not watch you when I was 12-22??

1 comment:

Mark said...

Love your post. Like you, I've never seen a 90210 episode. At my junior high, I think it was actually UNCOOL to watch the show! LOL!

BTW, I found out that Audrina (from "The Hills") is from my hometown! I'm so close to celebrity that I can just...smell it!