Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Being a daughter

I was touched by reading this today. It's an exerpt from "Because I Said So: 33 Mothers Write About Children, Sex, Men, Aging, Faith, Race & Themselves."

I had to stop at times and read other websites before going back to the nonficton? memoir? story. I was touched by how the author thought through her desires and motivations and struggled against her wanting to make her 13yr old daughter a friend after a divorce. It's somehow healing to see that a mother realized the temptations to befriend her almost adult but still very young daughter or the temptation to give into anger about the girl's dislike of the mom's favorite books. To set boundaries for safety. I'm sure she wasn't perfect and she made mistakes but even in stopping and considering, I think she did more than many mothers do.

No comments: