Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Daily dose of Jesus

I've been reading this short account of one incident in Jesus' life over and over again for almost two months. I felt drawn to it before I quit my job - when life was still relatively stable though I had just moved. But I felt like God was calling me to it, that I would need faith coming up soon. I didn't know what that would look like exactly but I started to reread it almost daily and meditate on it. I've done this in the past with Psalm 62 (my life verse[s]) and others - read it again and again, to dwell in it. To be reminded, to hear God again, to see new reflections of God's character and who I want to be. I actually like it, the daily reading of the same verses, the same story, the same truth.

I recall it a lot lately, when computers start smoking and extra expenses come up and Nora needs immediate surgery and.... Jesus is powerful and authoritative. He who commands the winds and sea - can He not take care of me?

Jesus Calms the Storm - Mark 4
35That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." 36Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"

39He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

40He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

41They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

No comments: