Monday, February 18, 2008

Musings

I haven't been writing as much lately. Probably mostly from not having a desk job with time and the ability to post all day long but I think also because life has felt overloaded and full of mixed emotions, some I don't want to type out. However, life is calming down a bit even as I'm still job searching for a fundraising/development position, ideally at UC Berkeley. And I've gotten the chance to be aware of moments of happiness and gratitude in my life.

We played Ultimate Frisbee after church this afternoon at a park in our neighborhood, and it was just fun and relaxing. Group sports are hard to pull off bc you need a group, duh. You can't play soccer or football or ultimate by yourself; you need other willing participants. Usually it only happens at retreats/conferences, an organized bday party at a park, or some other planned occasion. So I love that people from our church get together like this, somewhat planned but also casual, kinda regularly. Even though I'm slow, I love watching and playing sports - something about growing up with two older brothers and a sport-loving dad. As I sprinted/walked during the game, I thought, this is cool. I like being part of this community. I like living nearby and being able to change clothes and then walk over. I longed for months to live in the community and now I do. It's as good as I thought it would be.

This weekend has been so fun, and full of friends. Thu night we had a blast at the singles' VDay get-together/hangout thing with desserts, champagne, and a question game that turned into an enthusiastic, lively discussion about men needing to step up and ask women out, and also be more clear and honest. This seemed to be news to the men. Lucky they had us women there to school them.

Friday night was impromptu hanging out at Albatross in Berkeley, one of my fave bars bc it doesn't feel like a bar but like an adult club house. The popcorn machine is cheap, ppl play board games, and cider comes in a pitcher. My kind of place. After playing some games, we ended up talking about our favorite body parts and I took pics. Two people said their back is their fave body part - ??? Hey, whatever you like.

Sat night was Jill and Shyam's community dinner - yummy and a fun group again. I like people and community :)

And tonight, Sunday, was Muang's bday noodle soup extragavanza and wearing your cool thrift store purchases. For the third time this week, I had brownies and these were to die for. I think the best I've ever had. Good job, Teresa! Again, good conversations and community.

I like living here. I like my place. I like being in this community, with these people. I like that I'm doing development and also pursuing a fulltime job in development, that I know a bit more what I love and what makes me happy. I love how God has been providing for me and guiding me.

Last week we had our 2nd quarterly Development Committee mtg for our church/nonprofit (bc it runs like a nonprofit with our services and programs) and as I was leading the mtg, I looked around and thought, this is so cool. Jill and I talked for months about development ideas and things we wanted to see happen with New Hope, and now it's happening. We have a group of ppl excited, momentum, ideas, things starting, looking into grants again, restarting our newsletter, doing fundraisers, talking about motivating member giving. I love it. I love being in the middle of it, love that NH is open to going more in this direction, love that my gifts match what the church needs.

I'm happy where I am, what I'm doing. Sure, many things to improve but I like where I am.

No comments: