Tuesday, June 26, 2007

iPod having an identity crisis

I think my iPod is having an identity crisis. As in it doesn't know if it's broken or not. Maybe self-esteem issues, or manic/depressive?

It seems to favor being depressingly broken, with mellow chirps, humming, and a Sad Mac face. No amount of plugging in, switching to different charging sources, or gently murmuring "You're awesome iPod, and you CAN work" seem to cheer the little guy (gal?) up.

Then it decides it's UP UP UP and "yesofcourseI'monandworkingandwouldyouliketolistentosomemusic?" As if the brokenness was part of my imagination, as if it's always been operating swimmingly, making me step back and turn my head sideways, confused. "Wait, weren't you just... sad? But hey, if you want to work now, that's cool for me too."

It first "broke" when I was in Mykonos Greece a month ago on vacation. It had been acting funny for a few days and I thought the international converter and current just fried its brain. Not my norm but I had a very zen feeling of being ok with having seven more days without it. It's all good. (This zen peace felt harder to keep on the last two days when I ran out of books and started to go a little boredcrazy. I caved in and ended up buying a ridiculously overpriced paperback - even for airport standards - at Istanbul's airport for the flight home.)

So it is currently working though I don't know if it will slip into a mild depression again if I look at it funny. I don't want to buy another one in general and as I'm taking this month to not buy anything beyond what I absolutely need, I'm really not feeling the additional expense even after July 1.

My Ipod is apparently very sensitive. Just like me :)

No comments: