Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Run OrangeCat run!

This morning I got up at the crack of dawn (7:30am) in 10 degree weather (heavy fog and cold) to attempt to run a marathon (3 miles) at Lake Merritt with Sarah. I was nervous bc my old goal was to run the lake but I haven't been able to. Depending on how you measure/run it, it's either 3 miles or 3.5 miles. We did the shorter one today.

I knew I couldn't do the whole thing but I did as much as I could. I really tried to push myself. Sarah thinks I did about 2 or a little over 2 miles, which yey. Wow, that was far. My lungs kinda hurt. Most of the time my pace was like a 12 minute mile or slower but it was running so it counts. In the end of what I could do, I sprinted to the pillars. Something leftover from soccer and field hockey days - to sprint the last section.

We ended up talking about whether we like running or sports or gyms, and whether we played team sports when we were younger. I really have a hard time running non-gym for any length. I get so bored even with an iPod (not with me today) especially when it's around the lake which I've memorized to the pebble. I wonder if I could ever make it around out of sheer boredom. Plus I have to concentrate on my breathing bc otherwise my mind wanders and my breathing gets all out of sync and I am able to run even less. So yeah, concentrating on breathing = hecka boring. Maybe I need to record me or someone saying inspirational sayings like "you can do it, you're almost there" and insert them in between songs on my iPod. Or if I was running with someone that talked the whole time and I could be pleasantly distracted by their stories.

Maybe to run a 5K this year? If it was somewhere new and not the Lake, I might be able to do it. But first, to conquer the darned Lake!!

No comments: