Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Control

I'm been thinking about control (does Janet Jackson's song instantly pop into your head? does for me) and how contradictory God's views of control is for us.

It's a big issue for me, wanting to have control over things in my life and feeling frustrated/stressed/overwhelmed when I feel out of control. Control, control, control. Wanting to know what's going to happen, with whom, when, what do I need for it... Hating when I feel out of control and like someone else is more powerful than me, making my decisions and I am powerless.

God has been saying lately two true and seemingly opposite things to me. That I am in control of my life. I make all my decisions. If I don't want to do something or be somewhere, I have the full ability to change it. Like leaving my job, for example. There isn't anything I'm not able to do or say no to, no one higher I have to answer to (well God of course but not another person) before I do something.

But also, at the same time, I cannot have control. Life is so messy and unplanned and more frustrating and inefficient than I ever thought. God telling me to let go, to be ok with how things turn out "wrong" and to have a wider margin of error. I realize I want to widen my expectations - not lower them which I think is having lower standards but widening them which is enlarging my expectation of what I think would be ok to happen.

And forgiving and letting go of what I wanted to happen.

No comments: