Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Not having a TV

People have been asking about I like not having a tv and if I've have been having any cravings. It's going even better than I expected. I feel really relieved to not have a tv in my place. Esp in Nov, the month when I was just counting down the days to move in, it was a hard month with job searching and decision-making, and I would come home and just watch tv for a long time. I didn't want to but with my life slowly getting packed into boxes, there wasn't much else to do. It was depressing and even as I gave into watching my addiction everyday, I was eager to move and be away from the temptress box. I realize my difficulty in controlling how much I watch and I just wanted a clean break. And it feels just as nice as I thought it would.

I've been so busy (as it feels like my activity level has shot up living around ppl; good but I feel a bit "needing alone time." How do introverts in our community do it?) that it's nice to not feel like I have all these tivo'd shows to watch when I get home. Like a chore. Even though I would carefully monitor the shows to not record too many and I could always delete a show without watching it, I still felt compelled to watch if it was there. It feels like a relief to not have it.

I've gone on the web twice to watch a show and I've gone over to Marjie's to watch FNL but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have missed them that much. I like how tv viewing now for me is intentional and I have to choose into it, not just simply picking up the the controller.

I do wish sometimes I had a tv to watch movies - the laptop doesn't quite do it. Perhaps in Feb when there are Super Bowl sales.

But as of now, I really like the tv absence.

No comments: