Monday, July 23, 2007

David Beckham's first American game

This wkend I also happened to turn the TV on, and to ESPN somehow, right before the premiere of David Beckham in America on the LA Galaxy team. I watched some of an interview with Beckham that was on before the game, curious to hear him speak as I've seen tons of pictures about him but not much of him talking. His accent is different - no, not just English - but different than expected. Not meaning to offend but it doesn't sound like a polished accent but more of a rough neighborhood accent. Even as I am aware there are many accents from England, I confess my American assumption that Beckham would sound like a Hollywood British actor.

Sometimes I go to a bookstore and just sit and read for a few hours. I sometimes read an entire novel, sometimes only parts. Once at Border's I read the first half of Beckham's autobiography and found it very interesting. He started playing for Manchester United when he was 14 (and in their youth league, I think it's called, at 11). I can't imagine someone that young in professional sports. Imagine a 14yr old in the NBA? Or playing professional baseball?

So anyway I was intrigued by the interview and kept the channel on for the game. The stadium was sold out, celebrities in attendance, and you could see the energy in the crowd, wearing brand new Galaxy jerseys. And wow, that LA Galaxy manager/owner - did he get a MBA in Marketing? Bc I was feeling that sell from way out here on my couch. "This morning when America woke up and thought of soccer, they thought of LA Galaxy and that's because of David Beckham." He said it twice, people.

David had a hurt ankle and only came on to the field for the last fifteen or so minutes. But the crowd cheered and roared, and it was exciting to watch. I do hope Beckham coming to America will pump up excitement for soccer. ESPN's commercials for the women's USA soccer team against Japan in San Jose next wkend were exciting - anyone want to go with me?

No comments: