Monday, July 16, 2007

Isabel Archer

One of my favorite heroines, from Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady, is Isabel Archer. She's intelligent, has a mind of her own, loves to explore and learn, and asks questions. (And she's actually a heroine I would want to be, unlike doomed Lily Bart in Edith Wharton's House of Mirth). Not the best summary but that's the best I can do, having only started to reread it recently. I'm on page 72.

Usually I read quickly (I read Running with Scissors yesterday in four hours) but I can only read about 20 pages of James at a time. Partly that is due to his writing in the late 19th century and the much more well-rounded vocabulary even ordinary citizens seemed to have then. But also his writing is primarily characters' dialogue, quote after quote; the plot only seems to be the backdrop for their conversations, witty comments and play on words. My favorite short story is his "The Beast in the Jungle" where almost nothing happens except for the two main characters talking (that is the plot twist, sorry to ruin it for you!). Sometimes that's how life seems to me, all about relationships and our conversations while the actual facts of our lives fade into the background of importance.

Some of my favorite quotes from this novel, post-it tagged from my college days:

1. Mr. Touchett: "But for me there are only two classes: the people I trust, and the people I don't. Of those two, dear Isabel, you belong to the first."
"I am much obliged to you," said the young girl, quickly. Her way of taking compliments seemed sometimes rather dry; she got rid of them as rapidly as possible. But as regards this, she was sometimes misjudged; she was thought insensible to them, whereas in fact she was simply unwilling to show how infinitely they pleased her. To show that was to show too much.

2. "He's a fine fellow," said Mr. Touchett, "but I don't recommend you to fall in love with him."
"I shall not do it then. I shall never fall in love but on your recommendation." Isabel

3. "I shall always tell you," her aunt answered, "whenever I see you taking what seems to be too much liberty."
"Pray do: but I don't say I shall always think your remonstrance just." Isabel
"Very likely not. You are too fond of your liberty."
"Yes, I think I am very fond of it. But I always want to know the things one shouldn't do."
"So as to do them?" asked her aunt.
"So as to choose," said Isabel.

4. "Only don't keep on refusing for the sake of refusing. It's a pleasant exercise of power; but accepting is after all an exercise of power as well." Madame Merle

I have the last quote memorized and think of it often in my daily life. How saying "yes" and "ok" and letting people into your life, not just "no" and "I don't need you," is also a display of power. Displaying I know what I want, I feel secure in saying so and accepting, I feel ok letting it be known. And sometimes I remember in time to turn my "no..." into an "ok, yes, thank you." Sometimes.

No comments: