Thursday, July 12, 2007

Random Thoughts

1. I watched some of the 2007 World Series of Pop Culture on VH1 last night. A really fun show, like Jeopardy but for pop culture which as I luv Jeopardy and am addicted to pop culture, is a perfect blend of entertainment for me. One of the tie-breaker questions was: Hattie McDaniel won for Best Supporting Actress in 1940 (can you name the movie?) as the first African-American to win an Oscar. Who are the ten other African-Americans to win Oscars in the leading actor roles (actor, actress, supp. actor, supp actress) not counting Honorary Oscars? I knew 7 or 8 but the two contestants got down to the very last one. The guy who won knew all 10. How many do you know? Hint: Most are in the last 10 years.

2. I've been eating peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch lately. They're yummy, simple, filling, and nutritious enough for me.

3. My cat Nora likes to play with her (fake furry) mice and in the bathtub, sometimes at the same time. This morning as my cats did the normal routine of following me everywhere including the bathroom, Nora jumped into the bathub but this time she also carried a mouse in her mouth with her and started playing around energetically in the tub. Somewhat circular play, if you can imagine. It causes a lot of noise with the bell-ed mouse and cat claws. When I went into the kitchen I could still hear her chasing the mouse around then pausing to grasp it between her paws and lovingly clean its "fur." I think it's both her prey and her baby doll. She is so much fun :)

4. A friend Fred from church is currently leading a summer project for InterVarsity students in Cambodia. It's called Global Urban Trek and they live in the poorest areas and slums and really rough it. He just sent out an email with his journal entries and it's really thought-provoking. Too long to recopy here but wanted to give a prayer shout-out to Fred and the team.

1 comment:

ihns said...

yay! i enjoy your blog. :-)