Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter - read it?

Carla and I went to the Emeryville Border's on Friday night at the ridiculously late hour of 11pm (hey, I was tired that wk!) to people-watch, hang out, and oh yeah buy the new Harry Potter book. The seventh, the last, Harry Potter book. Heard about it?

We finally got it around 1:20am and headed out. In the waiting time, it was fun to sip drinks and get a chance to chat with Carla and catch up on life stories. She's a good person to have to fill down-time with :) Too bad she's moving to Santa Cruz soon but maybe she'll be back someday.

So not reading nonstop but I finished the book last night. I liked it and as I won't give away any information, I can say that I really enjoyed the plot and I liked the ending. There were things I still didn't quite understand but I went with it. I'm also not a HP expert and it was late last night when I finished so I might be able to "get it" more when someone explains it to me, in the daylight hours.

It was my favorite book of all seven. Though written for kids, it felt like more of an mature novel... well, it actually felt like a novel, not just a children's story. I respect J.K. Rowling's writing more and more over the years. I like how she adds difficult emotions and sadness into the character's lives - everything doesn't go peachy keen and the people respond with emotions that match the circumstances.

Any one else read it? Thoughts?

2 comments:

sunnysblog@gmail.com said...

I did some reading on the latest Harry Potter book (was trying to find a website somewhere that would tell me whether or not Harry dies in the book. I read some odd answers and then found the truth).

Oh, so while I was researching, I found reviews that stated that this book has more maturity to it than the other books..that adults will enjoy this book.

Now this is an incentive for me to buy the book and read it - to see what y'all are talking about!

[I used to read harry potter books on MUNI - sans covers - but a purple book with a green binding is quite obviously not a grown-up book..so I was fooling no one.]

OrangeCat said...

I hear ya - I used to bring the big HP books with me (that I borrowed from Grace) to work on MUNI. I would read 30 minutes a day during lunch in the break room. They can be addicting!