Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The A.B.C. Murders


I've started a new novel by my fave mystery scribe Ms. A. Christie. I actually started it last week ago but I was slow to warm up to the plot. She wrote it in 1935 and I find myself liking her later 40's and 50's plots better. Maybe she matured as a writer or maybe I like her post-WWII thoughts woven casually into the characters' lives. 4:50 from Paddington featured a side character who was a English WWII bomber pilot that now ten years after the war, wasn't suited for everyday humdrum life and found himself a bit at a loss. I like how she incorporates not only the times but the consequences of the times into her characters' lives.

But ooh, this one is getting better. As the book jacket describes, "Alice Ascher, a shopkeeper in Adover, is bludgeoned to death in her shop. Next to die is Betty Bernard in Bexhill - strangled with her own belt. Then, Sir Carmichael Clarke's skull is crushed in Churston. Clearly a serial killer with an alphabetical bent is on the loose..."

Oooh, I have no idea who it could be. Ok, my one idea is that actually the killer really only wants the third guy Sir Clarke dead but kills the first two to set it up as looking like a serial murderer. We'll have to wait and see...

And really, hats off again to Black Dog and Leventhal Publishers for coming out with fresh colorful affordable hardbacks of her books. They're a delight to read and I do think half the fun of reading a novel is how good it looks. Sigh, yes, I do judge a book by its cover after all :)
*Picture from Amazon.com

No comments: