Monday, October 22, 2007

Fasting from TV

I'm taking a break from all TV this week, starting yesterday. And that includes football. I haven't decided if that also means Kron4 in the morning for the traffic report but today I didn't watch it.

I want to be closer to God and hear Him more yet I find myself distracting myself with other things that I think will chill me out or bring my peace. TV being the main distraction. So I'm going to do a TV cleanse and leave it off all week. I've done this before sometimes for two weeks and it can be really helpful. I also start to notice different ways I'm viewing time or relaxation and it's a good correction to my sometimes wacked perspective. I've been reading more, all spiritual-angled books and the Bible, though I'm open to reading novels.

I feel like I need to sit in a God bath, surrounded and emerged in His words and truth, sinking down into the presence of the Holy Spirit as I breathe slowly through my nose. And sit still for awhile. Just sitting.

I'm already feeling better. This morning I woke up again in the early morning, at 4:45am. I think it's because Nora aka "The Heater" has started to sleep near my face so I wake up to this warm furball's face snuggled near my shoulder or face breathing warm air on me. As I lay awake, I pulled out my Bible buried under the covers next to me and started reading my life verse Psalm 62 esp verses 1-2. And started praying. God, come near.

My soul finds rest in God alone
My salvation comes from Him
He alone is my strength and my salvation
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (NIV)

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

I've lived without a television since about 1984 (when I moved away from my parents), but I'm finding that with high speed Internet it's oh-so-easy to download all kinds of shows. I'm totally addicted to Numb3rs and Journeyman these days.

Anonymous said...

Journeyman is in my top five shows.