Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Fountain

I watched The Fountain last night, a movie with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. I entered into a "this will be a weird movie" vibe and wanted to appreciate it for what it was. I had heard it was really good but not commercially successful and that it was beautifully shot.

I really liked it and was very touched. I recommend it for people who are dealing with grief over the loss of a loved one. I do not recommend it for people who have sick loved ones! The basic plot is the two characters are married, the wife is sick, and the husband who also happens to be a scientist is desperately trying to find a cure for her. It goes into life and death, wanting eternal life. Very creative and looking for a different way to tell a story. I loved the light and dark theme - really beautiful. No linear plot here.

I think Hugh Jackman should be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar bc his performance was off the hook. But because the movie wasn't a blockbuster or watched by many, he probably won't get a nomination.

No comments: