Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"I'm not trying to watch TV!"

Last night my roommate was watching TV while I was baking cupcakes, talked to someone on the phone about a position, and did random things. I wasn't trying to watch TV but it was on in the background. So I was half listening. My goal this week is to not intentionally sit down and watch TV, not avoid hearing any sounds from the box. As characters would say lines and the audience would laugh, I would be distracted in my task but turn to Ting and go, "What'd he say that was so funny?" It doesn't help that I think I have a hard time hearing people. Ting would repeat it and I would laugh a little. Sometimes TV lines are a lot funnier if you just repeat them. Esp as Ting does it in this calm voice, not trying to be funny.

So I'm brushing my teeth and she has the tivo'd Oprah show on. I really really don't like her show but sometimes they're interesting. Yesterday's was sad and affirming (wait, isn't that all her shows?) about this professor dying and a few months left to live, giving this lecture that's called My Last Lecture. Not just for him, Carnegie Mellon (? I'm too lazy to check) where he teaches has this series where professors pretend to give their last lecture. But it's real for him. It was really touching and he was hard-core "live life."

I'm all the way in the bathroom but I can kinda hear it. I miss a line and I shout, "Hey, rewind it, what'd he say?" Ting says, "You're not supposed to be watching TV!" "I'm not trying to, it's just happening! Rewind it please" "No, you're not supposed to be watching." "Ting, c'mon, what'd he say?" Back and forth! Finally she said the line I missed and I said, ah that's touching.

HA HA

No comments: