Monday, August 27, 2007

Agatha Christie

This might one of those days where I write eight posts...

I love these new Agatha Christie books by Black Dog and Leventhal Publishers. I love that they are republishing 24 of her books, love the new colorful designs and simple hardbacks, and love that they are only releasing eight or so to the public at a time. I also love that they are a discounted $9.60 on Amazon. I'm currently reading Death on the Nile.





She's such a good mystery writer. I realized what makes her so good - not just that as you read, you have no idea who the murderer is and have often guessed every character short of Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot by the end of the book. But her writing is so capturing because it's difficult to guess who the victim will be either. I'm around page 137 in Death on the Nile and I don't know who's going to be murdered. I think it will be Linnet (pronounced Lynette?) Doyle, the rich has-everything 20yr old who married the fiancee of her close friend. Linnet and her husband Simon are on their honeymoon in Egypt and the betrayed friend/ex-fiancee of Simon, Jacqueline, has decided to follow them everywhere in her grief. She seems a bit crazy. It seems clear that Jackie will murder Linnet but who knows? There is of course a whole crew of other characters that will somehow fit into everything but for now, I'm lost. Lost in a great book, and loving it.

No comments: