Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bday Party

My early birthday party on Sat night was super fun. I feel emotionally full and happy after it - having friends come over and celebrate and drink LOTS of margaritas was what I was wanting. It had a beach theme and my roommate Ting decorated the apt with streamers and paper fishies hanging from the ceiling. I hung out beach towels and put sunscreen and sunglasses out on my deck =). I know it was nighttime but it was funny. The dress code was beach wear so ppl just wore normal clothes though some people got into it and wore beach dresses - yey Marjie! And shout-out to Marjie and Patty who came early to hang out with me and simultaneously clean and prep the food - you are lovely people.

(Sorry to Mitch and Nora, who were securely enclosed in my room. Mitch would have hid under the bed anyway but I think little Nora would have an awesome time cruising the party people and rolling around on her back, looking for someone to play with her. Maybe next time Nora.)

My birthday usually creates mixed excitement and disappointment in me. I'm an extroverted person and love friends and a party but it can be hard to throw one in August as people are always on vacation or at a wedding (Aug seems to be crazy wedding month) or if on IV staff, at an area retreat. Growing up, friends were hard to pin down and I felt bad trying to organize anything as it felt so difficult. With college, people were usually still at home, not quite back or if they were around, busy moving in or prepping for the semester. It's just a weird time as I'm sure any August birthday person can tell you. I wish I could just fake it and say my birthday's April 24th.

My friend Jill and I were talking about what's worse - a January or August birthday. She said everyone is sick and poor for her early Jan bday but I said everyone is absentee for mine, and that I'd rather have sick and poor friends than no friends at all :) I do think December wins as worst overall month for a bday. My friend Laura's is Dec 26th, she gets top prize.

So with that, the party on Sat was just what I wanted. Yes, a lot of ppl were out of town or at several weddings but maybe I've just made my peace that that's reality for my Aug 15th bday (yep, it's actually tomorrow). Maybe. But I love all the ppl who came and I know some ppl had just come back from a long intl stint, a long urban project, getting ready for law school, or had to drive home far away and so I deeply appreciate that they came.

My mom is coming up on Thu to spend the wkend with me and celebrate my bday. I'm going to make a list of things I really want to do - I think that will make me happy.

No comments: