Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ddol-So Bee-beem-bahp...mmmm

I picked up a good college friend Patty from her work in San Jose last night to grab dinner. We had to make it a quick bite especially as I was fifteen minutes late (I forget how much I dislike the 101. Then I drive on it. And I remember.) and as she jumps in my car, we start right in on where we should go.

Patty: "Ok, so there's this good Mexican place behind us. And there's this really good sandwich place up here that I just ate at for lunch today, but it's really good and I could go again..."

Orangecat: Silence.

Patty: "So what do you think? Which one do you want?... Oh, wait, you're not saying anything. You want Korean again, don't you?"

Orangecat: "Yes!!" (hiding face behind seatbelt, laughing)

"Ok, no, it's fine..."
"But only if you're ok with it..."
"No, it's not like I have it EVERY night of my life..."
No words, just muted laughing.
"No really, it's fine. it's not like I'm Korean or anything and I have Korean food all the time. Sure, we can go..."
"But I like going with you! I like the place down here and I never eat Korean in Oakland. And I love ordering that one dish and you play Korean mom and mix it up for me. But if you really don't want to, we can do the sandwich place..."

We're both laughing. She's teasing me but we both like the food. And I do love ordering Ddol-So Bee-beem-bahp and her insisting on taking the bowl and mixing it up for me. When I know I'm going to eat with Patty, I think about that dish for a week before I actually eat it, and then for a week after the delicious crispy rice and flavors stay in my mouth and mind. Mmmm... good. Sorry Patty, maybe the sandwich place next time? Who am I kidding, probably not :)

Food with good friends makes me happy. Patty and I have had our ups and downs, and life after college and IV hasn't been what either of us anticipated. But I think we've both been faithful to pick ourselves up after our struggles, and keep on keeping on. And I have so much fun with her. She's one of the few close friends that I've known since freshmen year and still talk with - life seems to drift people away after awhile. If you think I'm detail-oriented, Patty still remembers the exact shirt I was wearing the night we met.

I stayed with her family on spring break our sophomore year and she taught me how to say "thank you" and "hi, how are you." She's been patient and gracious with my mistakes, and has taught me a lot about Korean culture and history through direct words but also just by sharing her life. I'm glad you're in my life :)

So to you Patty: "Korean best!"

2 comments:

sunny said...

I'm jealous. no good korean restaurants here.

(I grew up in Korea and crave Korean food!)

bulgogi
seaweed
kimchee
sprouts
spinach
rice, rice and more rice. yumm.

Patty said...

dude, love your blog, jen-kitty ... and "korean best!" to you to, girl! :P