Monday, August 6, 2007

Legs... hurt

My new goal is to be able to run around Lake Merrit, which is about 3.5 miles or 5k. I went on Sat and Sun, and ran around halfway each time and walked the rest. I'm so sore! My legs really hurt because I was lazy and didn't stretch before the first run on Sat. I'm kinda limping - very weak sauce. I went again on Sunday with the mentality that if I keep going, it'll get better (inspired by years of playing high school sports with the two weeks in August called Hell Weeks where we got back in shape with hard-core running and drills for hours). Um, I think I'm older now. My body ain't 16 anymore - and it's not like I was that fast or amazingly fit when I was 16 either!

Ah, nothing like a birthday next week to remind me that I'm not young. Not like I'm that old (yet) but turning another year is another yr gone. Don't get me wrong, I like my birthday and I like how my life is going so I'm not bummed I'm turning 29. But I've been thinking about sometimes I wait to do things for certain other things to be "just right" but time is just continuing. There's no time like the present.

So Governor, is the budget approved yet?

I saw Bourne Identity on Sat with Marjie and as we got into our seats, I heard my name called out across the packed theater. I recognized one friend and say hey back, then saw like 5 waving hands. After the really good flick, we caught up in the lobby and chatted with the group. Funny and cool.

Then I was running around LM on Sunday and passed another friend, who recognized me first. We just did a quick wave and "Hi" before I kept running but it's nice to see familiar faces. People asked me why I moved back to the East Bay after four and a half years in San Francisco. It's because of this large extended community of friends, acquaintences, and history. I love running into people in the grocery store, at a movie matinee, around the lake, etc. Sometimes we're close friends, othertimes it's just a former student or staffworker that we only know each other's names. But it feels like family, and makes me think more and more how I don't want to live anywhere else.

No comments: