Friday, August 24, 2007

Wall Street bonuses

Interesting article from December 2005 on how Goldman Sachs divides annual bonuses. I bet things have changed even since then with the rise of hedge funds. Bonuses aren't looking so good this year.

Having worked for both Goldman and a hedge fund (but only as an executive assistant, EA, and Office Coordinator) in the last few years, I'm intrigued by the companies/industry but understand somewhat little of what actually happens. I'm no longer in those jobs and actually in a complete different profession now but I'm glad I got the random chances to work at those companies. I learned a lot professionally and it was definitely a completely different world than IV, a university-based Christian nonprofit. Even driving through downtown SF last night through the financial district, all these memories come back. They were my first "professional" jobs.

Ahh but sometimes I wish I had stayed for those bonuses...

A few thoughts I gathered from working at both places, nothing confidential:

1) A few people control the majority of money in the world. Not that those people are only Goldman or hedge fund analysts or bankers but I personally was schooled on how much power lies in the few. It can make you feel a bit hopeless about changing anything economically bc just one person up there could change a lot if they wanted.

2) Rich businesspeople are smart. Every movie I have ever seen with busy businessmen and women showed sharky, conniving, greedy, and/or liars that only got their money because they cheated or schemed or stole from people below them. There are people like that but there are also a lot of really hard-working, really intelligent people who are driven. I can't quite write "caring" but they're not all jerks.

3) Even the rich, and maybe especially the rich, feel insecure about their finances and their ability to earn.

No comments: