Monday, September 17, 2007

Morning commute over Bay Bridge

Finally! An article talking about how the new Bay Bridge Fastrak lanes are not working. But the article doesn't cite one of the reasons for the back-up is now that the Fastrak lanes are together, there are less surrounding lanes to merge into them closer to the tollbooth. During the commute time pre-Labor Day, it was normal for the rightmost cash lane to shift left and become the Fastrak lane. Everyone knew the routine and it was fine. I was wondering what the collaborative plan would be with the new lanes and though it's the only thing that makes sense with the new lay-out, it sucks. The Berkeley/Richmond folk have an advantage as their one - and perhaps second also - cash lanes next to the Fastrak lanes go straight into the F tollbooth lanes. The two designated F lanes don't spread out into the 5 tollbooth lanes - traffic can't divide that quickly without the side lanes jumping in. The Oakland/580 west side has a disadvantage in that it has to cross through the F lanes to get to the "cash" lanes to then later merge back into the F tollbooth lanes.

This may be long and confusing but I need to ramble/express my frustration this morning as I did Casual Carpool today and it sucks too. I really need an accurate picture of what the Bay Bridge traffic looks like in the morning and Kron4 and 511.org are not cutting it. Why isn't there a camera focused westbound on the lanes before the tollbooth plaza? It could be hooked up under the 880W ramp. I would watch whatever channel or website that had that camera every morning. Today Kron4 said the BB back-up was to the maze (kinda bad) and it would be 30 minutes. So I went out of my way to go to Grand Station, wait 10 minutes to pick up ppl so I can take the carpool lane, and head back. But there wasn't much traffic and definitely not as bad as the reporter had said. Sure, it could have cleared up but likely not. Grrr as I then had to do extra traffic to get into the city, drop the ppl off, then grind my way back ont 280S to get to work.

It all sucks. I did save the $4 toll but that's about it :(

And NO I can't take BART. I have thoroughly analyzed it and money- and time-wise it costs more. I'm sick of people saying everyone should take BART. You know what, I'm not against BART but it's not a valid option for people when a) they work past Millbrae, the last Peninsula BART stop, b) monthly parking permits at most East Bay stations are sold out, making AC Transit the only option to get to BART, and c) BART seats are gross and not guaranteed. If I'm going to have to switch trains, pay $9.75 a day, and ride for 60 minutes exactly, I want to sit down. And no, I can't ride a bicycle to BART then bike to work - I wear skirts and heels, and don't currently own a bike.

Ok, that's my traffic rant for the day.

To make myself feel better, here are my suggestions that I need to get out there:

1) Make half the tollbooth lanes Fastrak at the Bay Bridge and increase one more lane each year. The new configuration actually increased the cash lanes and it sucks. The San Mateo bridge should be a model to the other bridges (the Martinez one looks good too.)

2) Expand BART to San Jose and Menlo Park.

3) Transition BART seats to plastic, more sanitary.

4) Make an express BART train from key stations to other stations (this has been discussed by BART).

5) Make a bike lane on the new Bay Bridge - I know this had been discussed and thrown out but I think it would be a great move for those who do want to bike to work in SF, which are quite a few.

6) Install camera on key freeway and bridge locations and make them accessible on 511.org for free.

2 comments:

ihns said...

you can park your car for $1 at the fruitvale station if you get there before or around 8. the other option is a $3 lot. :-D

OrangeCat said...

Hmm, good to know. But do they get sold-out? I might use that when I move on over if our office is still here.