Thursday, September 20, 2007

Treasurer

I had my first Council mtg last night as Treasurer and to be honest, I didn't do or report much. I have a lot to learn about it all. But I liked it. I'm one of those odd people that like meetings. I love discussions and working with other people and wanting to move forward. I thought last night, moments like this make me miss IV staff.

I like talking about money and development. Not that I'm an expert on money or even have a lot of it for American standards (though I'm very rich based against the world's average income) but I like math and budgeting. I am learning Excel as I know the basics but I want to know more.

I would love to learn more about grant-writing with the goal of getting more grants for NH. I have to say, on a diff topic, it's hard how to think through talking about giving/tithing to people. It's hard to be encouraging but not judgemental, truthful but giving off a spirit of love. I honestly don't think there's a set amount or percentage God would lead us toward giving - in general or to our home church - but I know that in God's goodness and all He has given us, He calls us to give back. Not just with our time and our energy, but with our money. He got us our jobs, He gave us our friends and housing, He gave us our lives. In gentleness, He leads us to give back.

For me personally, I love to tithe. I know plenty of people who give more than me so it's not about bragging about an amount but I want to share that I love to give. I wish I made more money to be able to give more away. I see it as automatic and it's written into my budget. I see it as a spiritual act, a turning away from the greed in my own heart that wants to hold on to "my" money and to state that it's not my money at all. And my life isn't mine at all. I admit I get envious sometimes of people who don't tithe and have more extra money, to pay off things and save for a house. But then I think, would I want that? I can choose anytime I want to stop giving. Yet it seems not even a question. My heart doesn't want that money back, it's not mine to take. There's nothing else I want to do. There's no other God I want to follow. I give because I have received much.

No comments: